Sign in to follow this  
The_Right_Honourable_Jimmy

Jeremy Corbyn (Leader of The Opposition) & Trump

There was a petition about banning Trump for a state visit and it reached enough supporters where it was debated in parliament. The opposition have been openly and persistantly against Donald Trump from the start of his presidential campaign, both in the Houses of Commons and within interviews with media.

On my Facebook feed today I came I came across this letter addressed to The Prime Minister Theresa May from Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the Labour Opposition and personally I found it absurd. Our opposition should focus on more dire topics to scrutinise the government benches however I feel like for them, this is just another political move as it is with most political parties.  

Here is Jeremy Corbyn's letter.

jeremy corbyn's letter.jpg

Here is my reply on facebook.

Dear Mr Jeremy Corbyn

I can understand why you might oppose President Trump's views as the leader of the opposition but I hope you understand how would banning him could effect our relationship with the United States in accordance to trade and alliance. We all hope our British economy flourishes however I beilive if we distance our selves from the USA, our economy will not flourish. A true diplomat can see past what he or she disagrees when it comes down to policy and make alliances and trade deals.

If we ban Mr. Trump from entering the UK out of "protest" then it is my sincere belief that our economy will not flourish. Shouldn't we just let the Americans deal with their own battles and shouldn't we deal with our own? -

Yours,

A concerned citizen.

What is your opinion on this petition and the strong support from the opposition.

Edited by The_Right_Honourable_Jimmy
  • Upvote 1

The refugee ban is silly, none of those countries are committing terrorist acts in the US. The real threat in the US is coming from their own citizens, but that's not a problem that's getting addressed now is it...

I agree May should speak openly about human rights, which this obviously violates, and should postpone the invitation.

We're not "banning" Trump also, that was debated what last year? Parliment was in agreement that banning him was silly.

• Upvote 4

To be honest I'm not as conservative on immigration as I am when it comes to economics and I do agree that halting immigration because one of hundreds of thousands could be a terrorist is silly because it is more likely that he will be a home grown one.

However, Trump promised  what he promised and now he's delivering it in a PC package to cover his own arse from your shitty parliament system.

However though..... why should we protest as a pro-democratic government against the will of another's country. It is completely and utterly absurd. 

Edited by The_Right_Honourable_Jimmy

The main issue I have with all of this is how people are making out as if it's a "Muslim ban". I hate people tweeting #MuslimBan because it simply isn't a fucking Muslim ban. I don't entirely agree with the order that has been passed, mainly because countries such as Saudi Arabia are not on the list of countries, which makes it a little laughable in my opinion. But I do think that limiting refugees is a very smart move. I mean, just look at Germany and many other parts of Europe due to refugees. I read something the other day that said two thirds of all refugees arriving in Germany aren't even able to fluently read or write in their own language, nevermind German. These people are just going to be a drain on society, and their values simply aren't compatible with many of the values we hold in the West. I think it's nice to help these people, however I do not think that importing them into the West is the answer. We should be helping them out of the countries they are in and relocating them to other countries in the Middle East that are not ravaged by war and terrorism. At least those countries would be far more suited to their needs and ways of life/values. For the money spent on every refugee brought to the US, they could probably help 5 refugees by taking them to somewhere in the Middle East instead. Think of the numbers you could actually help without hurting our own countries.

Also, those 7 countries Trump has banned were actually countries that the Obama administration singled out and had said were countries of concern.

AND IT'S OKAY THAT OBAMA DROPPED MORE BOMBS ON ALL THESE COUNTRIES IN THE MIDDLE EAST THAN ANY OTHER PRESIDENT IN HISTORY, KILLING INNOCENTS NON-STOP. YET TRUMP IS THE MONSTER FOR RESTRICTING THEM FROM GOING TO THE US. IF IT WEREN'T FOR OBAMA THEN THEY WOULDN'T NEED TO GO ELSEWHERE.

Anyway, as far as banning Trump goes, it's absolutely fucking ridiculous. Anyone petitioning for Trump to be banned is a fucking idiot and either wants the country to fail or is just plain fucking retarded.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SkyBlu said:

The refugee ban is silly, none of those countries are committing terrorist acts in the US. The real threat in the US is coming from their own citizens, but that's not a problem that's getting addressed now is it...

I agree May should speak openly about human rights, which this obviously violates, and should postpone the invitation.

We're not "banning" Trump also, that was debated what last year? Parliment was in agreement that banning him was silly.

I cannot agree with this more.

Both May and Corbyn are in bad situations, there's only so much either can do to appease their supporters and the people of Britain, this is clearly Corbyn fluffing up his feathers to keep a constantly unstable following appeased and while May should absolutely condemn Trumps actions I can see why she'd hold out as, sadly, America is going to be a trade agreement we will need, it was wrong of her, she needed to show we won't stand for his bullshit and she didn't worsening the situation.

Sky is absolutely right and sorry to steal that Facebook post you posted, but if more people protested this hard for  more important things the likes of the NHS, it wouldn't be in trouble.

I'd also like to add, that blaming previous govs for the failings of this one has always played key in British politics and that's why nothing gets done. Trump is the new president and I think we should stop looking at the previous govs and focus on him and how he solves problems and hold him accountable when he makes mistakes means he will be the best president he can be instead of going "well the previous gov did it" and nothing getting done. Such a new power deserves a change in pace, both good and bad.

8 minutes ago, EndangeredShark said:

I'd also like to add, that blaming previous govs for the failings of this one has always played key in British politics and that's why nothing gets done. Trump is the new president and I think we should stop looking at the previous govs and focus on him and how he solves problems and hold him accountable when he makes mistakes means he will be the best president he can be instead of going "well the previous gov did it" and nothing getting done. Such a new power deserves a change in pace, both good and bad.

I agree with this. I said this quite a few times during Obama's terms as president, because I kept hearing the argument that the reason Obama didn't do much/well was because of the mess Bush left him with.

Sign in to follow this