Welcome to RR

Message of the day

If you don't do heroin, you're gay.

Join a club

Maybe even start your own. Just don't join the crazy cultist one. That one seems like one to avoid.

Click here to get started

Sign in to follow this  
Ladyflatass

Idiots in the mental health industry

Ladyflatass    4

I was hospitalized like a few weeks ago for a dumbass idiot suicide attempt because two kids and a controlling boyfriend were too much and I got too wasted. (I know some fucking parent I am, though I go out maybe once in a blue moon and go and get drunk with my best friend, I have terrible antisocial tendencies and should have listened to mmyself but what fucking ever)

So, while I was there I went from a diagnosis of anxiety disorder to bipolar ii to borderline personality disorder to my final diagnosis of some disorder that only happens to people following huge life changes (it slips my mind on the name for it but regardless it's been two years since any major life changes). 

I feel like I'm needing to pay out my ass to be treated for whatever the fuck is wrong with me. I've been on every antidepressant out there until my last prescription of duloxetine (generic Cymbalta) which has actually helped. 

Is the mental health care this bad everywhere or just in the US? 

ragreynolds    756

Mental health is universally pretty bad. From what my grandmother (who has ran a mental health care home for a very long time) has told me, it seems as though most places and people simply do not care. They are just trying to get through their day and make things as easy as possible for themselves. There isn't enough money being put into mental health, and people with mental illnesses suffer because of it.

• Upvote 2

It has been inadequate here and it still is in some trusts. Labour drove the economy into shit back when they were in goverment and with a shit economy you have to prioritise. There are no beds and in a lot of trusts they have horrible cqc reports still.

Theresa May wants to improve community care and she has put more money into CMHTs across England which could decrease the need for beds for those acutely unwell by helping them before they reach crisis. Mental health is high up on the cabinet's plan for Britain.

Our healthcare system seems to be improving but you can only do that with a strong economy.

We're still 💩 but improving. Personally, I've seen improvement the past year.

Edited by The_Right_Honourable_Jimmy

ArseRaptor    77

Luckily we have free healthcare here. i went to a psycologist from 2013-2014, didnt do much good other than giving me meds that made me emotionally castrated...
The best thing i found to stop my mind wandering into dangerous places was to keep myself busy, went to school for 2 years... i feel better after school and meeting new people and friends than i did talking to some repressed housewife who talked to me like i was 6.

Anyways... my inbox is always open.

I think part of the problem is that metal health problems aren't that well understood. I'm on some antidepressants at the moment and when I was prescribed them, the doctor made it clear that while they seemed successful, they weren't 100% certain whether they actually worked as it's very difficult to measure the chemical the drugs were supposed to boost.

I wonder whether that's part of the reason why people don't seem to take it that seriously; because there isn't a whole lot you can do about it that results in a huge success rate.  

Seeker    113

Me as 5-15 year old: Very autistic

Psychological evaluation: Some symptoms of autism, but he'll be just fine

Me as 16 year old: Still autistic

Psychological evaluation: Maybe he autistic. Wait list is 6 months. Try something private.

Me as 17 year old: Talking to private psychologist and psychiatrist monthly, 1½ hour drive each way for about a year. Still autistic.

Psychological evaluation: It's weird that he hasn't been diagnosed yet. Definitely AssBurger ADHD.

Definitely inefficient, but I haven't been treated badly by the mental health system.

Sign in to follow this