Welcome to RR

Message of the day

If you don't do heroin, you're gay.

Join a club

Maybe even start your own. Just don't join the crazy cultist one. That one seems like one to avoid.

Click here to get started

Sign in to follow this  
Rhalph

What gives things value?

Rhalph    16

I'm going through my things and donating what I don't need or use anymore. I've done this many times. I don't want to have a bunch of stuff. I pick up a book my dad gave it to me I don't read it I haven't looked at it in years. Its a neat book my dads not dead so like its not touchy about it. I want to keep it though I dont plan to use or read it. What gives value to objects to you?

• Upvote 1

ragreynolds    762

People give things value. What is worth fifty million to me might not even be worth five to you. I'm not a sentimental person. I don't place value in objects or things that have been given to me from a family member or whatever. I value the things in my life that I desire and that help me do the things I enjoy. I do not desire family heirlooms or sentimental gifts.  

• Upvote 1

I believe in historical value other than sentimental value. For example I'd rather pay more for a really old original 78rpm version of a Louis Armstrong album instead of a 33rpm remaster of the same album.

• Upvote 2

pxc    154

It comes down to whether it's well-made and I have a use for it, really. I prefer old or antique items, because they tend to be much better quality and less disposable than many things made today. If it requires a bit of effort or money to fix up, it's still worth it in the end. Plus, it feels nice to actually use something to its full potential. However, I don't really form an attachment to the items that I value. I'd say the only item that I am truly attached to is my mandolin. If I lost everything else that I own, I would be okay with that. The less, the better.

I go through my possessions on about a bi-monthly basis to decide what I can get rid of and what I should keep. My method is simple; I ask myself three questions: Do I need it? Do I use it? and Would someone else benefit from it more than I do? I've also helped my sister and mother clean out some of their unnecessary things using this process. My sister is the most difficult, because she puts sentimental attachment on about everything she owns.

One thing I need to kick is my addiction to collecting rocks. I probably have more scavenged gemstones than anything else combined lol. I think I may have a problem.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, pxc said:

One thing I need to kick is my addiction to collecting rocks. I probably have more scavenged gemstones than anything else combined lol. I think I may have a problem.

3741d1cdb89ffb11a797ba225eba3f10d0b68265

• Upvote 3

pxc    154
15 minutes ago, The_Right_Honourable_Jimmy said:

3741d1cdb89ffb11a797ba225eba3f10d0b68265

Lol to a degree. Aside from the quartzite specimens, though, most of my collection is actually rocks.

• Upvote 1

Justin13    84
19 hours ago, pxc said:

Lol to a degree. Aside from the quartzite specimens, though, most of my collection is actually rocks.

You and my brother would get along, though I'm 80% sure he makes up names for rocks on the spot. He's a geology major. Nerds.

• Upvote 1

TokentheToken    119

time, condition,  which edition it is, if it's a naked photo of a celebrity from the 70's, who made it and are they dead yet

On 3/19/2017 at 1:10 AM, Rhalph said:

I'm going through my things and donating what I don't need or use anymore. I've done this many times. I don't want to have a bunch of stuff. I pick up a book my dad gave it to me I don't read it I haven't looked at it in years. Its a neat book my dads not dead so like its not touchy about it. I want to keep it though I dont plan to use or read it. What gives value to objects to you?

I think it's based on self perceived worth of said object also plays a part in it. 

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this