Welcome to RR

Message of the day

If you don't do heroin, you're gay.

Join a club

Maybe even start your own. Just don't join the crazy cultist one. That one seems like one to avoid.

Click here to get started

Myvagmademedoit

Vegetarianism - The conscious thinker

By the title of this, it probably seems like I would be bashing meat eaters when actually, I'm not because I'm one  too... 

The ways the animals are treated bothers me. Some are tortured before death too, being  beaten, poked, proded and left to sit in their own shit only to meet a painful death. That's what  bothers me  the  most.

Some are even given drugs so  that they can grow and produce faster than they would normally, and it's bothersome to know that those chemicals are things we're consuming by consuming the animals or animal byproducts.

I know it's all supply and demand and without some people  out there who are eating the animals,  lots of people would go broke and jobs would be lost.. but the treatment  of these animals is so unethical. 

What are animals treated like in your country? Do you think about this much? Let's talk about it. 

Justin13    84

They're treated like shit, but honestly I just don't care. Say what you will, but I just don't. Our race is doomed and it's only a matter of time now before we get wiped by climate issues. If we destroy the planet in the process of our extinction, does it even matter? We're the only beings with conscious thought, so it's not like anyone or thing would be bothered except us...and we'll be dead. So why should I be bothered by the mistreatment of animals? Really, WHY should it bother me? If someone can give me an actual answer to that question that isn't just "because you're a monster if you don't" then don't bother attempting to answer it. I'm not the person hurting that animal. However, I AM going to eat the nutritional and delicious remnants of said creature.

• Upvote 1

Well us English (including the rest of the devolved administrations) have standards. We don't allow growth hormones and that is the same across the European Union and as we're leaving the European Union, we're going to keep the same animal cruelty laws as we had before and probably improve them.

I read somewhere that American children hit puberty earlier because of the growth hormones in meat and that was one of the biggest reasons why I was opposed with the trans-antlantic trade agreement because I wasn't happy with American food hitting our shelves in our local food stores. At least Trump didn't go with it after all.

I assure you, over here in the UK and the EU, we treat animals with the uttermost dignity. The only thing that I could say is I'm quite disappointed about the cheap shite eggs that are from caged hens that you can buy in shops. I'd like to see change because I'm not happy with the idea of caged hens but I do only purchase free ranged organic eggs anyway.

Our conservative government has uphold the value of being against animal cruelty and that makes me quite happy to be honest. I can understand why a lot of vegetarians in America choose to be vegetarians but over here we kill the animals instantly, they don't feel any pain.

.....unless it's halal. That's something to blame the muslim community if you're against that sort of slaughtering. 

• Upvote 1

Sappho    215
3 hours ago, Justin13 said:

They're treated like shit, but honestly I just don't care. Say what you will, but I just don't. Our race is doomed and it's only a matter of time now before we get wiped by climate issues. If we destroy the planet in the process of our extinction, does it even matter? We're the only beings with conscious thought, so it's not like anyone or thing would be bothered except us...and we'll be dead. So why should I be bothered by the mistreatment of animals? Really, WHY should it bother me? If someone can give me an actual answer to that question that isn't just "because you're a monster if you don't" then don't bother attempting to answer it. I'm not the person hurting that animal. However, I AM going to eat the nutritional and delicious remnants of said creature.

saying you're not the one hurting them is a huge cop out. if you see something being done that isn't right and do nothing, you're part of the problem and no better than the one doing it. the whole "how you treat someone who can do nothing for you speaks volumes" also rings true for how people treat animals.

just because we've fucked our planet and are doomed as you say doesn't mean we should lose all our humanity and treat everything as disposables that do not matter. they don't have to treat the animals as poorly as they do, they just do it because it's cheaper for them. i've watch many documentaries with farmers in them wishing people would demand higher standards for the treatment of the animals. (they're under contracts with huge companies and have to play by their rules, it's not the farmers call) people don't need to stop eating meat to make a difference, just demand better treatment of the animals up for slaughter or buy from somewhere that does. companies may not care about the animals but they do care about loss of profit.

i'm not saying any of this to answer your "why should it bother me" either btw. just my thoughts on how stupid it is that they're treated so badly when they don't need to be. if it doesn't bother you knowing what you know, nothing anyone will say will change that. i'm sure you've seen the videos of the treatment of them and it either hurts your heart or it doesn't.

• Upvote 4

Alfie    142

don't forget pigs and cows that are hung up by their feetsies, throats slit and left to hang there until they bleed to death.

the treatment of chickens is absolutely disgusting as well, having their beaks cut because they attack eachother due to being in such closed spaces. 

theres just so much wrong with the meat and dairy industry, and I understand that it's not an easy transition for people to go from eating meat to a veggie diet, but for me the decision was made overnight.

i don't agree with any of it, and i certainly won't bash people for eating meat (i've spent the last 18 years eating meat so wouldn't it be kinda hypocritical?)

it's just vile 

pxc    154
12 hours ago, Justin13 said:

See this is the problem. People go for what is convenient rather than what's better for them. Complacency is what's destroying humanity if nothing else, and it's really so easy to make a change to something better for everyone. It should bother you because the health of your food correlates with your own health. You think that a cow who is tortured throughout its entire existence and filled to the brim with growth and stress hormones tastes good? Try a farm-raised cow who lived its entire life grazing merrily and died before it even knew what was coming. Amazing. So tender and delicious and so much healthier than the sickly, terrified blobs they kick around in slaughterhouses. Not to mention the poor hygiene in commercial meat processing which affects all of the food that passes through. I don't care if you care about the welfare of your food, but saying "our race is doomed" is a stupid excuse not to care about your own. Fucking enjoy the earth while it lasts, ya god damn negative nancy.

• Upvote 3

Justin13    84

@Sappho @pxc

I'll at least apologize for how blunt I was as I know it's a touchy subject and I shouldn't come from the other side so aggressively, I think watching Jarhead just had me in an aggressive "don't care" mood haha. Honestly though, my opinion is still similar, but I'll AT LEAST consider looking for companies that offer better situations for animals and if it isn't DETRIMENTALLY more expensive or hard to find locally, I'll purchase it instead. Fair compromise? <3

• Upvote 1

I think we need to rejoice the luxury of having affordable quality meat especially beef because back in the days of old, it was something that only few privileged individuals got to eat regularly. Beef used to be immensely expensive. I think there is so much pressure to become a non-meat eater for health reasons and 'ethical', I think it's preposterous.

Meat is great

There's this quote from a sitting during a House of Commons debate from a backbencher Conservative MP, Jacob Rees-Mogg that I stumbled upon recently that perfectly sums up my views about eating meat.

I'll quote it directly from the daily Commons hansard of the day.

Jacob Rees-Mogg: I thank my hon. Friend for another invaluable contribution to the debate. I have indeed seen the NFU's briefing and the expensive process that would come about if some of this was done. We cannot afford that extra £100 to £200 per hectare to subsidise farming. We need to come down on all forms of public expenditure, and Bills that propose more expenditure are rotten Bills-if they are indeed real Bills. On the second half of this point-the first half was about whether the Bill was just wallpaper-if the measure is real, we cannot afford it, and neither can the British people.

I want to stand up for the British consumer, who never seems to get a look in. We never talk about the fact that having cheap meat is great. It improves people's standard of living. They can afford to buy food that used to be the preserve of the wealthy. The fact that more people eat meat today than ever before is good. That has come about because people are more prosperous, but also because meat is cheaper.

Clause 1(4) states:

"The Secretary of State has a duty to ensure that the steps taken in accordance with this Act do not lead to an increase in the proportion of meat consumed in the United Kingdom which is imported."

If that is, in fact, rank protectionism, we should treat it with the deepest suspicion. The House was much divided over the corn laws, the argument for which was cheap bread. The argument against the Bill may well be cheap meat. I want the shoppers of North East Somerset to be able to get access to affordable, good-quality meat and not to have the wealthy and great telling them that they cannot afford that meat and that they must only have vegetables, or something terrible like that.

Most people do not really like vegetables, particularly people who are meat-eaters. Those of us who are meat-eaters could do with a few chips on the side, but we do not want to be forced by Opposition Members to eat our greens, whether they be cauliflower or cabbages, spinach or marrows, turnips or carrots. I particularly dislike carrots, and I remember that George Bush Senior got into terrible trouble-

2.30 pm

The debate stood adjourned

Edited by The_Right_Honourable_Jimmy

ragreynolds    767

Most of the meat industry certainly needs an overhaul. The conditions animals are kept in is certainly not right. But no matter how bad I may feel, I will never feel bad enough to not eat meat. I certainly have no issue with buying meats that come from more ethical sources, hence why I specifically eat free range eggs. But buying from better sources is the furthest I'm willing to go. I won't stop eating meat for several reasons. For starters I'm an extremely picky eater and if I stopped eating meat I'd be even more malnurished than I probably already am, and I'd end up ill. But more importantly, there's nothing that beats a nice rack of lamb.

• Upvote 3

Justin13    84
2 hours ago, ragreynolds said:

there's nothing that beats a nice rack

Agreed, you dog ;)

• Upvote 1

Just want to say, dont buy spanish eggs. In the UK, what you say about caged hens is absolutely illegal, however, it is not in the most of the EU and most eggs imported (atleast here) are spanish and are caged hens, even then i would say please buy organic eggs, free range eggs could literally mean anything from a field to run free in or a small space no bigger than a couple of feet to walk around in. 

As for Halal, i think its very difficult with this because technically as gruesome as it is, done properly there is no pain as they bleed out in seconds, which is actually less stressful then dragging your cows into a room stunning each of them as you go along and then slitting their throats. All halal has to be labeled anyway so its not that big of a deal as you can avoid it and if you suspect something of being halal then do report it. Theres nothing to blame on the muslim community, i do know people who buy halal because they find it kinder then the way we do it, there is a supply there past them and always will be.

In the UK, animal standards and farming standards are some of the strictest and best in the world and actually, we take great pride in our farming standards, good meat isnt cheap, the animals are grown outdoors and have great lives before they die, which isnt a comfort to all, but if youre going to eat meat it should be a priority when you buy food, you wouldnt buy bruised, mouldy veg, so why would you buy squashed in a cage meat? If you dont check this stuff and buy it because it's cheap then youre contributing to the farming that every vegan source uses, you are contributing to a huge problem and it is just as much your fault as the company raising those animal and if abuse is then found in these businesses and that's what these big farming factories become to meet your demand, a business, it is your fault for allowing it to even happen buy purchasing the meat, I don't care if you disassociate yourself from it because you arent killing them yourself, it is your money, it is you eating and it is a contributing factor to ongoing poor practices and it can easily be changed. I really don't care about peoples lifestyles but i do care about this and if meat is going to be in your diet then source it correctly, especially in the UK, it really isnt that difficult to do so and in America, go to a local butcher and ask where your beef came from, any butcher worth his money should be able to tell you his supplier and some of the best can tell you where they were farmed, instead of using large supermarkets who cant provide this information. The difference in taste and quality will always be superior when sourced correctly.