Join a club

Maybe even start your own.

Click here to get started

Open Club  ·  15 members

Sign in to follow this  
Tyrantblade

Where do you see gaming going?

Tyrantblade    4

I've seen some of the ideas floating around about where gaming may be headed in the future.

Some of it seemed like it could be pretty cool like how future gaming might be more heavily based along the lines of VR or maybe AR : that is Virtual Reality or Assisted Reality.

I also saw mention of all gaming eventually going to cloud storage (meaning no physical copies, but no need to worry about storage space); this is not something I would like personally as i like having physical copies of games so I can sell them in the future if I'm done and/or need money.

And I saw an interesting article about how there may be no PS5; since they could just keep releasing an upgraded PS4 with a better CPU and GPU (like the PS4P) ; like how computer gamers would change out parts but keep everything else the same instead of buying a completely new system.

The article also mentioned how, with PS Now; computer gamers could subscribe to the service and be able to play things that used to be Playstation Exclusives, so Sony could very well make money a lot easier by focusing on that; instead of changing things up and making completely new systems.

And on the Xbox front they may start gaining some much needed momentum when the Scorpio is released and no doubt more and more games come out designed to work optimally with it

Which could be why no known Xbox exclusives have come out this year so far; though no doubt they will still not bridge the sales gap, (Playstation sales this gaming generation being over 2x as much).

In all reality the Scorpio is not gonna be THAT much more powerful than the PS4; comparing bigger numbers to what they actually amount to anyways (based off the numbers they are claiming the Scorpio will have).

On the graphics front the PS4P uses a very good upscale which can make some games very close to 4k; and even on some games where they don't get a graphics boost they may run smoother; depending on how developers chose to optimize the games and on some games up to the options you choose as some games give you different resolution and frame rate options.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.looper.com/36703/may-never-playstation-5/%3Famp%3D1

Above link is the article about why there may never be a PS5.

Edited by Tyrantblade

ragreynolds    795
3 hours ago, Tyrantblade said:

Some of it seemed like it could be pretty cool like how future gaming might be more heavily based along the lines of VR or maybe AR : that is Virtual Reality or Assisted Reality.

I think that neither VR or AR will ever "take over" gaming. These things are simply niches, and most people will want gaming to be the way it is now for the most part. The only thing I think could even come close to replacing the current format is when VR advances so far that it is fully motion controlled, and you can taste, smell, feel, etc... basically live inside a game world as if it was real. But even then, it would be insanely expensive and because of that it would be unlikely that it would ever replace the current format.

I also saw mention of all gaming eventually going to cloud storage (meaning no physical copies, but no need to worry about storage space); this is not something I would like personally as i like having physical copies of games so I can sell them in the future if I'm done and/or need money.

This is something that has already been happening slowly over the past few years. Personally, I prefer having my games digitally. When you have a game digitally it runs better, and you can also access it faster. Plus you don't need to worry about ever losing or damaging a disc. Sure, it's nice to be able to sell games, but both Sony and Microsoft have already shown that they are intent on eventually getting to a stage where used games are no longer a thing. Remember when Microsoft revealed the Xbox One and they announced that you couldn't play used games? Eventually they reverted that due to the bad reactions from gamers, but it has been made clear that both Sony and Microsoft, along with a lot of developers, want the industry to move in that direction. So really it's inevitable that eventually everything will be digital only.

And I saw an interesting article about how there may be no PS5; since they could just keep releasing an upgraded PS4 with a better CPU and GPU (like the PS4P) ; like how computer gamers would change out parts but keep everything else the same instead of buying a completely new system.

I think this would be a bad, bad move. The whole point of buying a console is so that you don't have to change out parts. You buy a console knowing that it can play every game that is ever released for that console. As soon as you start having to upgrade parts and whatever else, then you'd be just as well... in fact, you'd be better off just gaming on PC.

• Upvote 2

Tyrantblade    4

Well I meant that Sony themselves could release another updated PS4 (like the PS4P rather than a system where everything is new like the PS5 that may or may not get made), and then customers would have to decide if the updated version is worth it.

It's like will a system that runs faster and with better graphics be worth it?

I bought a PS4 pro simply because faster is better and I have a Samsung KS8500 (basically high end, but not top tier 2016 Samsung 4k (smart) TV) to take advantage of the better graphics.

And at some point the graphics aspect will reach its limit, so really it will eventually just be down to would your gaming improve enough with a system that only has a faster processor?

As for games eventually only being digital; I would hope the price goes down at that point, because if it's digital only you really can't put the same value on it as a game you would be free to buy new and then sell used.

Edited by Tyrantblade

Seeker    116

I'm chipping in, cuz y'all talking hardware trends and not software.

The only thing that's for sure, is that esports is going to continue growing, though I doubt it'll grow as explosively as it has over the past decade. I also think both FPS (CoD, CSGO, etc.) and AoS (Dota2, LoL) and the in-between (read: Overwatch) will retain the crown for at least 4-5 years. Within that time, a new genre will likely pop up and join the mix, which I'm excited for. DigiCCGs like Hearthstone could grow (very likely), RTS could make a comeback (not as likely, but who knows) or it might be something else.

Speaking of Blizzard, I think WoW is at the end of it's lifecycle, and a new MMO will surface as the market go-to. It's already been close to happening, so I'd say give it a few more expansions and that's about it.

Indie/crowdfunded games are also about to enter their second golden age, though this could be a false prediction - I'm assuming the devs are smart enough to learn from Mighty#9/YookaLaylee/etc. and just focusing on their craft. A good example would be YandereSim.

1 hour ago, n00gai said:

I kinda hope the vr+platform takes a bigger piece of the gaming world. 

Palmer-Luckey-playing-with-Virtuix-Omni.

As for the VR thing, I'm very skeptical. It sounds cool, right, but I'm very concerned about the effects it'll have. Besides production costs (which could likely crash and burn a ton of companies if they bet on the wrong horse) it could have a very negative effect on competitive games released with VR compatibility, if the headset gives you an edge in such games.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this