Alfie

Writer's Block

I wasn't sure which section to put this in, either discussion or lifestyle, but lifestyle said hobbies underneath it so I figured this could go here.

I like to write, and have been writing for as long as I can remember, and I started writing a particular story when I was 12/13. It was quite lengthy, and I was really enjoying it, then I hit writer's block and I haven't been able to get out of it since.

I've thought about re-imagining the story since it's a fairly original idea (at least I thought it was, and then iZombie came out and totally stole my idea¬¬), but that's only because I can't think of anything else.

I was wondering if anyone else here writes, and if so, how do you get inspiration? Does it come naturally or do you have to actively go seek it? (Alpha brain is out of the question, @ragreynolds).

I could really use some help.

Just now, Alfie said:

(Alpha brain is out of the question, @ragreynolds).

Alpha brain is gay.

Anyway, there isn't really anyway to overcome it as far as I'm concerned. I just wait day after day until eventually I get motivation or inspiration. So I write a bit, then I stop again and wait again. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ragreynolds said:

Alpha brain is gay.

Anyway, there isn't really anyway to overcome it as far as I'm concerned. I just wait day after day until eventually I get motivation or inspiration. So I write a bit, then I stop again and wait again. 

see I can't even bring myself to write because nothing comes out, I don't even know how to go around that

• Upvote 1

I actually wrote like 2 or 3 fan fiction stories back in early secondary school and ended up leaving them because of writers block or just a general busy lifestyle, although I haven't gone back and actually written anything, I have moments where I don't have a block anymore and I'll hopefully have a notebook near me. I also tend to rewatch or re-read certain episodes/chapters etc from that show or whatever.

The only thing I can say is buy a nice notebook for yourself and a really nice pen that slides smoothly across the paper, and read whatever you wrote so far, edit sections, maybe correct any grammar or just heighten the level of writing since we are all constantly learning. Then as you are editing it an idea might start flowing, but note them down in a book, with a pen, some people tend to be more creative when they're using pen and paper rather than typing. 

You do art right? Maybe get some watercolour or some black ink and water or w/e and paint/draw one of your characters? Or even just a feature? Anything to bring yourself closer to the world of your story.

Hope that helps <33 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Viiolai said:

I actually wrote like 2 or 3 fan fiction stories back in early secondary school and ended up leaving them because of writers block or just a general busy lifestyle, although I haven't gone back and actually written anything, I have moments where I don't have a block anymore and I'll hopefully have a notebook near me. I also tend to rewatch or re-read certain episodes/chapters etc from that show or whatever.

The only thing I can say is buy a nice notebook for yourself and a really nice pen that slides smoothly across the paper, and read whatever you wrote so far, edit sections, maybe correct any grammar or just heighten the level of writing since we are all constantly learning. Then as you are editing it an idea might start flowing, but note them down in a book, with a pen, some people tend to be more creative when they're using pen and paper rather than typing. 

You do art right? Maybe get some watercolour or some black ink and water or w/e and paint/draw one of your characters? Or even just a feature? Anything to bring yourself closer to the world of your story.

Hope that helps <33 

i didn't think about the art, i love watercolour and i have a huge watercolour sketch book so i'll try that.

thank you for the helping <33

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alfie said:

i didn't think about the art, i love watercolour and i have a huge watercolour sketch book so i'll try that.

thank you for the helping <33

No Problem ^-^

Watercolour is very freeing tbh, also if you do get a notebook I would recommend some sort of quirky/vintage style rather than a plain one, gives you more motivation if its pleasing to look at, check Amazon or pop into a WHSmith x

• Upvote 1

I'd suggest getting a small voice recorder as well, incase you think of something at the moment, you can save it for later that way too. 

I also suggest letting your mind just wander, it doesn't have to stay on topic, in fact, it's probably better if it does not stay on topic, maybe you might get an idea or two from day dreams! :)

I wish you the best!! 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Alfie said:

i'd rep you guys but ryan has a shit rep limit

I've doubled it. Also, as you progress through the other member groups, you receive more of an allowance per day.

I've been writing scripts for a long time now. I always get writers block when it comes to dialogue and detailed actions performed by characters. Sometimes watching TV or a film helps me kill that writers block. I've been currently experiencing loads of writers block with my current university short film screenplay. However I found ways to combat that.

Take a break, get your mind off it

Watch some TV or watch a film (maybe you can read a book since your issue seems novel writing related)

Combining these distractions from your piece of work can mean an epiphany. I can verify that.

Chill, take a break.

• Upvote 2

Depends on the nature of the block, more than anything.

If it's a perfectionist's block, you just have to keep hitting it until you get something decent out. Don't worry about revising it at that point - it's just a first draft.

If it's a literacy/plot block, that's when you look for inspiration.

On 24/01/2017 at 3:11 PM, Viiolai said:

Hows the new notebook doing?

good! got some character profiles down and i've started writing out drafts, getting better

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alfie said:

good! got some character profiles down and i've started writing out drafts, getting better

:omgomg:

<33 

• Upvote 1