Sign in to follow this  
ArseRaptor

What languages are similar/easy to learn?

some of you might know that im norwegian, and being norwegian and speaking norwegian(norsk) i can also understand danish(dansk) and swedish(svensk)...(and with my scandi roots i can also read some simple german sentences and icelandic)
they can almost be classified as the same language with VERY heavy accents, like if you compared a heavy UK accent with a deep southern US accent.

do other languages have the same traits?

Hebrew and Arabic are similar like that as well. I understand and can speak a little Hebrew (But not written, because  growing up, I would hear my mothers side of my family speak some hebrew every once in a while, like family  gatherings and stuff ) and I can also understand some arabic too, not a lot, but a little because I speak some Hebrew.  Example in English. Hebrew (Shalom) in Arabic (Shalum) said almost the same way... and that is just one example. Is it easy to learn? Nope! Not easy to learn!

German and English have some similarities as well, like if you  were at the grocery store and looking for Apple Juice,  you might see a carton of Apfelsaft and even if you didnt know the words apple juice, it can be figured out pretty easily. 

53 minutes ago, Ludwig_Van said:

German and English have some similarities as well, like if you  were at the grocery store and looking for Apple Juice,  you might see a carton of Apfelsaft and even if you didnt know the words apple juice, it can be figured out pretty easily.

in norwegian its "Eplesaft"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, His_Majesty_Jimmy_I said:

Spanish and Italian apparently.

apparently they're the most similar overall 

3 hours ago, TokentheToken said:

apparently they're the most similar overall 

Italian is easy because it's derived from latin which is deeply embedded in the English language. I never tried to learn Italian but I tried to learn a wee bit of latin when I was in secondary school and it wasn't that hard.

Spanish though is easy because well it's Spanish pendejo.

Edited by His_Majesty_Jimmy_I

3 hours ago, ragreynolds said:

What's a heavy UK accent? 

Your accent? Geordie? I don't know, many southern accents were created by rich British people to distinguish themselves from the lower classes, the whole point is that they don't sound like any British accents I always thought.

I can't really think of any in particular that hasn't already been covered considering Cherie posted that list, but I think most languages that don't have German roots are easy to learn if your first language isn't one of them. If your first language is English then theoretically you'd have a better chance speaking and learning German or Danish as they all come from similar roots but would struggle with a language like Welsh. All in the lips and movement of your mouth.

Most languages developed from one or two places, as Molly pointed out Arabic and Hebrew, in my case Welsh and Cornish for instance. English is interesting though as it is of German descent but steals a lot from other languages which is why it's one of the hardest languages to learn especially if you speak something like Arabic as a first language.

I know this isn't what you asked for but I find this genuinely interesting and thought I'd share what I know.

5 hours ago, ragreynolds said:

oi bruv, boutta smoka fag iwus, chippin in? shagginya missus atly? as greatta ear, er fannys noice? watchyaback, wusgoo chirpin witya. fishnchips, applsnpers. gosavthequeenallothapalava.

Edited by Seeker
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ragreynolds said:

15 hours ago, EndangeredShark said:

Your accent

Hebrew is a bit close to Arabic since both have same origin languages and to re create modern hebrew lots of Arabic was used, 1/7th of the Spanish language is also Arabic words and grammar, the maltese language is pretty much an accent of Arabic with some italian and english, pretty much all middle eastern and north african language were affected in one way or another by the Arabic language, and some southern european countries as well. And 22 nations use the classical Arabic as their main language so if you cant understand their dialect you can always just speak classical

• Upvote 1

Spanish and French are quite similar in terms of vocabulary and grammar, at least in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Seeker said:

Spanish and French are quite similar in terms of vocabulary and grammar, at least in my opinion.

I agree

Czech and Slovak of course. Most differences are spelling and slang. 

Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese according to my experience going on a date with a Brazilian guy.

52 minutes ago, CleoSelene said:

Czech and Slovak of course. Most differences are spelling and slang. 

Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese according to my experience going on a date with a Brazilian guy.

wow you're alive