Sign in to follow this  
EndangeredShark

Eugenia Cooney

Lets discuss Eugenia Cooney.

Personally, i havent seen much of her past other youtubers giving her ''messages'', but im pretty sure i know most of your opinions.

Either way, let's discuss her.

• Downvote 1

Honestly it's only people using her name to get attention and views. Some videos might be genuine, however others are clearly for views. Sick of seeing how much people care and how they need to make people aware of how not well she is.

• Upvote 2

i feel bad for her tbh

poor girl probably has issues and everyone's pressuring her to sort it out and she's being blamed for unintentionally triggering people 

• Upvote 2

Her mum is fat as fuck and she herself has her own mental/physical issues. Well done to her for making herself feel better by teaching herself how to use makeup well, but I think she needs to make it clear to her viewers who actually do say shit like...

19 minutes ago, bryanna said:

body goals

...that her body is pretty much dying. She wont live for long like that, there is just no way. I'm sure she is nice and all but the fact remains, when I look at her I see those starving African children in the charity adverts on TV.

Her Body...

Anorexia_youtube_ban_701611.jpg

• Upvote 1

I feel like banning her from youtube (As many people have petitioned for) isn't going to help her, nor is it fair. You don't see people being banned on youtube for being to fat, so why ban her? She has never promoted eating disorders on her channel and she is actually a very nice person. She doesn't deserve to be banned off of youtube for the simple fact that she is thin. 

Some people argue that she "influences people to be skinny" when that really is not the case. If you starve yourself to look like Eugenia Cooney then you have underlying, deep rooted problems. It's not her fault if people are stupid enough to starve themselves.

People need to lay the fuck off of her.

The problem with her is that she is quite obviously exploiting her own body for views. When you look at her thumbnails, they are all designed in a way to show off as much of her body as possible. Now, I do not think she should be banned from YouTube, and honestly for the most part I just pity her, but she really needs to get some help and also stop lying about her condition. We all know she obviously has some sort of eating disorder, meanwhile she constantly tries to say that she is just "naturally skinny", even though that can be proven otherwise by looking at pictures of her a few years ago when she was a larger than she currently is.

She doesn't need to be banned.

She needs to get help.

She should stop pretending that it's normal to be the size that she is.

• Upvote 2

Just now, ragreynolds said:

The problem with her is that she is quite obviously exploiting her own body for views. When you look at her thumbnails, they are all designed in a way to show off as much of her body as possible. Now, I do not think she should be banned from YouTube, and honestly for the most part I just pity her, but she really needs to get some help and also stop lying about her condition. We all know she obviously has some sort of eating disorder, meanwhile she constantly tries to say that she is just "naturally skinny", even though that can be proven otherwise by looking at pictures of her a few years ago when she was a larger than she currently is.

She doesn't need to be banned.

She needs to get help.

She should stop pretending that it's normal to be the size that she is.

Agreed mostly.

But, She shouldn't have to tell the internet what kind of disorder/problem she has because its really not anyone's business. She may be lying for a reason, and being in the public eye is certainly not helping her case.

Just now, Protejade said:

Agreed mostly.

But, She shouldn't have to tell the internet what kind of disorder/problem she has because its really not anyone's business. She may be lying for a reason, and being in the public eye is certainly not helping her case.

I don't think she needs to tell anyone what her disorder/problem is, I think she just needs to stop making out that she is perfectly normal. Acting as though she is perfectly normal can make young kids with eating disorders think that their way of thinking is validated because some famous girl on YouTube says so.

i mean yea she does have an unhealthy body, but i dont think she promotes her diet or lifestyle.
people see in her what they like, such as seeing "fat pride" in an overweight model or "anorexia promoter" in a skinny girl on youtube.

its all "seeing jesus in a taco".

she need to eat healthier and get better but i dont think she need to be removed from social media unless she directly promotes unhealthy lifestyles.

I don't think she needs to tell anyone what her disorder/problem is, I think she just needs to stop making out that she is perfectly normal. Acting as though she is perfectly normal can make young kids with eating disorders think that their way of thinking is validated because some famous girl on YouTube says so.

Young kids shouldn't be watching youtube if they are that easily influenced. Thats using the same logic as the hole barbie thing when people would say that having a skinny barbie influences kids to have eating disorders when it really doesn't. 

Eugenia has said previously that she doesn't want people to want to look like her. I think that shows the awareness of the situation and she knows that she's not okay. I dont think she is normalizing herself in any way but she is basically a normal person besides the fact that she is thin.

1 minute ago, n00gai said:

i mean yea she does have an unhealthy body, but i dont think she promotes her diet or lifestyle.

She doesn't straight up promote it, but what she does do is act as though her body is normal and says that it's normal to be the size she is. This is backed up by the fact that she claims to be "naturally skinny". If some young girl with an eating disorder comes along and finds someone like Eugenia Cooney who is quite well known on the internet, who just so happens to be saying that she is "naturally skinny", that young girl is going to think that it's normal to be the same size as Eugenia, since Eugenia says she isn't starving herself but rather is just naturally like that.

Just now, Protejade said:

Young kids shouldn't be watching youtube if they are that easily influenced. Thats using the same logic as the hole barbie thing when people would say that having a skinny barbie influences kids to have eating disorders when it really doesn't. 

I agree those kids probably shouldn't be watching, but it's not always as simple as just stopping it. The Barbie thing has merit in a sense. It's ridiculous to claim that Eugenia or a Barbie will actually give or influence someone into having an eating disorder, but what it does do is validate the mindset of people who do have eating disorders. 

10 minutes ago, Protejade said:

Agreed mostly.

I agree, being in the public eye doesn't mean she has to tell anyone anything that's wrong with her, no matter her fanbase or fame or anything like that. She also shouldn't have to pretend she's ill to appease people who look at her body and decide she is ill, i'm not saying she's healthy in any way, but if she's genuinely happy and upbeat and doesn't want to discuss her problems, then that's that.

9 minutes ago, ragreynolds said:

If she feels fine, she doesn't need to hide that to appeal to people telling her she's sick. Also, there are plenty of obese youtubers out there shouting for body positivity and diversity and now we're seeing an extreme on the skinny side, it's suddenly a problem for her to be on the internet, and that's really how it went, because it's validating eating disorders, but lets be real here, every over weight youtuber is also validating a problem and as far as I am concerned should be targets just as much as this girl. I know that's not what you're saying but it's still no better, if youre on either ends of the spectrum you're completely validating two serious problems. Besides, it is the parents responsibility to monitor their childrens internet usage, not the youtubers job. 

Edit: At the end of the day people saying she should be banned from youtube are trying to censor something theyve deemed a problem enough and influence enough on young children, but if youre against censoring in general then you shouldn't be trying to censor her. However, I am aware that there are loads of popular youtubers sending her messages and it becomes a case of how to stop exposing my children to this when it's become the trend.

Edited by EndangeredShark
  • Upvote 1

Just now, EndangeredShark said:

If she feels fine, she doesn't need to hide that to appeal to people telling her she's sick. Also, there are plenty of obese youtubers out there shouting for body positivity and diversity and now we're seeing an extreme on the skinny side, it's suddenly a problem for her to be on the internet, and that's really how it went, because it's validating eating disorders, but lets be real here, every over weight youtuber is also validating a problem and as far as I am concerned should be targets just as much as this girl. I know that's not what you're saying but it's still no better, if youre on either ends of the spectrum you're completely validating two serious problems. Besides, it is the parents responsibility to monitor their childrens internet usage, not the youtubers job. 

I agree, and that's why I said she doesn't need to be banned.

But I do think that being super skinny is far worse than being super fat. At least when you're fat your organs still work, when you're that skinny your organs will literally start to shut down.

• Upvote 1

I agree those kids probably shouldn't be watching, but it's not always as simple as just stopping it. The Barbie thing has merit in a sense. It's ridiculous to claim that Eugenia or a Barbie will actually give or influence someone into having an eating disorder, but what it does do is validate the mindset of people who do have eating disorders. 

People that have eating disorders are going to validate themselves in anyway possible but most people know they have a problem. They would see it okay for themselves to look a certain way but not okay for others because they know that they are unhealthy. Using that logic, Eugenia isn't really doing anything wrong, its the viewers mindsets. She just makes youtube videos and people should really let her be.

I agree, and that's why I said she doesn't need to be banned.

But I do think that being super skinny is far worse than being super fat. At least when you're fat your organs still work, when you're that skinny your organs will literally start to shut down.

I think they both have serious health problems that cause serious issues that ultimately lead to death, one isn't better than the other, they both lead to the same position with horrific problems, I just think it's unfair to be attacking her for her weight but not doing the same to morbidly obese people despite the fact theyre completely normalising something that will kill them and impacts on their day to day lives.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EndangeredShark said:

I just think it's unfair to be attacking her for her weight but not doing the same to morbidly obese people despite the fact theyre completely normalising something that will kill them and impacts on their day to day lives.

People do attack people for being morbidly obese. It's just that attacking people such as Eugenia Cooney isn't something that happens as often since there are more morbidly obese people than super skinny people like Eugenia. Plus, most of the people that are leading all this body positivity movement are fat people. It's the fat social justice warriors who have made it the most horrible thing in the world to call out fat people. Ever seen blogs about 'thin privilege'? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, EndangeredShark said:

I think they both have serious health problems that cause serious issues that ultimately lead to death, one isn't better than the other, they both lead to the same position with horrific problems, I just think it's unfair to be attacking her for her weight but not doing the same to morbidly obese people despite the fact theyre completely normalising something that will kill them and impacts on their day to day lives.

I was thinking like this when the whole drama with her started, like we have to keep a balance sort of thing, but personally I have yet to see a Youtuber as famous as her who is just basically killing themselves from eating. But every time I do see someone who is on the fat side, there are LOADS of comments stating how they should leave youtube because they're a bad example, the only damn reason this girl is getting so much more drama about her is because she is more famous!

I agree with Ryans earlier point that she is kind of pulling in the views by milking the drama and showing off her body in thumbnails, but for all I know she always did that even back when she first posted. She is a fashion/makeup guru whatever I think so it could make sense that she has her whole body in the thumbnails. Let's also state the fact that there are young girls out there who watch makeup tutorials etc and will be seeing her body in the thumbnails of the suggested videos, this causes an even worse reaction because they probably don't have a clue who she is or what her personality is like, the first thing they are drawn to is the ribs under her crop top...

But one thing I notice here is that there is more drama about her now than ever, and as someone who is a pretty damn big icon on the internet, she has a responsibility to not deny the so obvious issues, it isn't shameful to tell the truth, but it damn well is to lie, especially when it is so damn obvious she is suffering. There are people out there who starve themselves to achieve her sort of 'body goals' BECAUSE she says it is natural. But it's not. 

I don't agree with her being banned, youtube is her lifestyle and she has a right to it. So do all the other skinny twats and fat bastards out there. But I've never seen someone lie so badly with obvious shame on their face. It's uplifting to speak the truth. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Viiolai said:

I was thinking like this when the whole drama with her started, like we have to keep a balance sort of thing, but personally I have yet to see a Youtuber as famous as her who is just basically killing themselves from eating. But every time I do see someone who is on the fat side, there are LOADS of comments stating how they should leave youtube because they're a bad example, the only damn reason this girl is getting so much more drama about her is because she is more famous!

I agree with Ryans earlier point that she is kind of pulling in the views by milking the drama and showing off her body in thumbnails, but for all I know she always did that even back when she first posted. She is a fashion/makeup guru whatever I think so it could make sense that she has her whole body in the thumbnails. Let's also state the fact that there are young girls out there who watch makeup tutorials etc and will be seeing her body in the thumbnails of the suggested videos, this causes an even worse reaction because they probably don't have a clue who she is or what her personality is like, the first thing they are drawn to is the ribs under her crop top...

But one thing I notice here is that there is more drama about her now than ever, and as someone who is a pretty damn big icon on the internet, she has a responsibility to not deny the so obvious issues, it isn't shameful to tell the truth, but it damn well is to lie, especially when it is so damn obvious she is suffering. There are people out there who starve themselves to achieve her sort of 'body goals' BECAUSE she says it is natural. But it's not. 

I don't agree with her being banned, youtube is her lifestyle and she has a right to it. So do all the other skinny twats and fat bastards out there. But I've never seen someone lie so badly with obvious shame on their face. It's uplifting to speak the truth. 

I certainly think you cannot win as a youtuber, this is an extreme spectrum so i dont think youd see that many people like her unless you were deep into some ana forums or a youtube community around people this thin or what not, but i do constantly see comments about skinny youtubers i watch who dont seem to have muscle on their arms and other things like that get torn apart for not being thick enough. I had never heard of her until all the youtubers i know and watch started making messages from her and it was coming from everywhere. It comes from both sides, I am not denying that and I actually agree with Ryan that it has become march harder to talk about people being fat because you get shut down for it.

So I think i've spent about five minutes off of the top of my head just trying to think of ways parents could prevent the likes of Eugenia Cooney from being viewed by their kids and i found it very hard to do so. When you have her piggybacking off of her success now and youtubers using her as clickbait it becomes very hard to avoid her, many youtuber in the communities i am in have made vidoes to her and about her and some not nice at all. I think that's a huge problem, you could use every service in the world to avoid her and youre never going to be able too while this is till a big thing. 

It's very clear she has a problem, I have no doubt she knows that, however, i still don't think she has to tell anyone about it. I realise she's a public figure, but we live in a very good time that people of some fame actually get control of what goes out to the public. While I do believe she doesn't have to out herself and it's her prerogative if and when she does tell people, I have no doubt that as soon as all the attentions starts to dwindle, that's when she will come clean. I'm pretty sure she has a momager so nothing is going to go out until she's approved it anyway. 

It's not that I don't agree with anything anyone has said, because I do agree with it, who wouldn't? I just believe that what she does is her prerogative and while control maybe difficult, there are ways to minimize your childrens exposure to this sort of thing, you can go as far as even asking your internet provider to ban them on your network. I genuinely hate fat and thin shaming and i also hate health at any size because theyre absolutely detrimental and do not achieve anything. I am all for body positivity and at any size, because no one should feel unhappy and hate themselves, while i don't agree that this is out of her control, sometimes there are things that are out of our control that go past eating too much or not enough. 

Sorry for all the spelling mistakes i don't want to go over this, so also sorry if nothing makes sense! D:

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna make it simple, she needs help very badly and is exploiting her health issues for youtube fame, and unfortunately that can have negative effects on viewers with the same mental health issues.

Her content annoys me, so I haven't bothered to care too much. However, I do think that she may need help learning how to gain weight, and keep it.