• Merlot
    • Shiraz
    • Zinfandel
    • Ewww
    • Anything that gets me fucked
    • Mix/Other (Specify)
  2. 2. Cork vs Screw Top?

What's your favourite type of red wine?

Red wine dates back to 6000 BC. Red wine is the daddy of alcohol. However there are so many types of wines. Most of them are great, some of them are cheap, some of the sweet some of them are strong. Which one do you like the most and why?

Also....cork vs screw?

Edit-  There is a ridiculous amount of types but these were the most popular ones according to google

For me it's definitely Malbec. Malbec is excellent with any red meets and also I enjoy using it when I make a bolognese sauce. It's also great on it's own. It's strong most of the time but tasty. Malbec wine is usually made in Argentina, Chile and Cahors. A good inexpensive bottle can range between £9-20 in local supermarkets(not the peasant ones...Lidl and Aldi).  

The ones I drink frequently are

Finca Las Moras from the co-op

FLM-Barrel-Select-Malbec-400x700.jpg

Trivento Golden Reserve Malbec from Tesco's

271801011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=83be2

Also I'm a cork fan because I'm a traditionalist and a cork usually preserves the taste better according to wine snobs. It's also a renewable source. Plus, the best wine you get comes with a cork.

Edited by The_Right_Honourable_Jimmy

Listing types in the poll was probably a mistake, there are far too many to name. To say you put a minority of wines in there would be generous, there are honestly far too many to count. Too many grape varieties.

Anyway, I usually prefer Italian wines. My favourite tends to be Amarone, but even with Amarone the wine can vary tremendously. I can buy a £13 bottle out of Tesco and it's fantastic, but I can go to Asda and buy a bottle for £17 and it's even better. Or I can go to my local Majestic Wine retailer and buy bottles ranging from £20 all the way up to £100 and they just keep getting better and better.

I really don't like Australian wines. I've yet to try one I actually like, and the same can be said for Australian whites.

I was never a fan of Spanish wines until recently. Rioja is the main Spanish wine, and I've just never really liked the ones I've tried, that is until recently when I have been drinking a very good Rioja Gran Reserva that they serve in a place I frequent in Falkirk called The Wine Library. It is very good.

I haven't really tried French wines to really comment on those.

As far as wines from other places go, I haven't had a bottle that I've liked/that stood out to me, so I can't comment at all.

Anyway, as I was saying, the poll kinda is irrelevant simply because there are so many types of wine. Looking at Italian wines alone there are more types than you have listed in that poll.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ragreynolds said:

Listing types in the poll was probably a mistake, there are far too many to name. To say you put a minority of wines in there would be generous, there are honestly far too many to count. Too many grape varieties.

Anyway, I usually prefer Italian wines. My favourite tends to be Amarone, but even with Amarone the wine can vary tremendously. I can buy a £13 bottle out of Tesco and it's fantastic, but I can go to Asda and buy a bottle for £17 and it's even better. Or I can go to my local Majestic Wine retailer and buy bottles ranging from £20 all the way up to £100 and they just keep getting better and better.

I really don't like Australian wines. I've yet to try one I actually like, and the same can be said for Australian whites.

I was never a fan of Spanish wines until recently. Rioja is the main Spanish wine, and I've just never really liked the ones I've tried, that is until recently when I have been drinking a very good Rioja Gran Reserva that they serve in a place I frequent in Falkirk called The Wine Library. It is very good.

I haven't really tried French wines to really comment on those.

As far as wines from other places go, I haven't had a bottle that I've liked/that stood out to me, so I can't comment at all.

Anyway, as I was saying, the poll kinda is irrelevant simply because there are so many types of wine. Looking at Italian wines alone there are more types than you have listed in that poll.

Agreed, hence I put other/mix. Those were the most popular ones according to google hence I listed them. Italian wines are great, it's a shame that there aren't that many in our local shelves to be honest with you. Mediterranean wines are the epitome of great wines. I agree with you about Australian wines, they aren't that great. Hence most of them have screw tops. There is only one Australian I like but that's because I'm a big film buff and it's film themed. It's a mix of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Tempranillo. It's called The Unexpected and it's quite good for £7. I agree though Australian wine isn't that great unless you're willing to impress a chavette that doesn't know anything about wine by paying £7 for a bottle.

a08d2a88977b0ca47a84c56566fd068f.jpg

Edited by The_Right_Honourable_Jimmy

I only drink red wine, the heavier the better. My favourites are; chateauneuf du pape, Amarone and i love a good smoky Rioja! 🍷

• Upvote 1